WASHINGTON — Air Force officials announced policy updates in the 98th Virtual Uniform Board decisions posted June 10.
The following provides a snapshot of approved uniform wear. All information will be incorporated into AFI 36-2903.
• Effective Oct. 1, 2010, trousers on utility uniforms will be tucked into boots and give a bloused appearance. Tucking had previously been optional.
• The green fleece formerly worn only as the All-Purpose Environmental Clothing System liner is authorized Air Force-wide as an outer-wear garment. The
addition of the name, rank and service designators to the green fleece when worn as an outer-wear garment is authorized.
• Airmen may use personal cellular telephones while in uniform and walking. Cell phones may be worn on either left or right side; however, the cell phone must be a conservative color. Military customs and courtesies are required and take precedence. Talking on a phone is no excuse for not saluting. Still prohibited is wearing hands-free devices such as cell phones attachments worn on the ears.
• Enlisted chevrons will be worn on light weight blue jacket sleeves instead of the metal rank insignias on the collar effective Jan. 1, 2010.
• The ends of boot laces must be tucked into boots. Wrapping the laces around the boot is authorized.
• The length of the airman battle uniform lower leg pocket will increase by approximately 1/2 inch.
• Upper sleeve pockets are authorized on fire-resistant clothing authorized for the Central Command region.
• Airmen earning and awarded the Army Parachute Riggers badge are authorized permanent wear on all uniform combinations. For the airman battle uniform and the battle dress uniform, the badge will be blue. On the desert combat uniform the approved color is brown.
• Wearing the black Army Air Assault Badge on the battle dress uniform is authorized upon graduation from Air Assault School.
• Organizational ball caps are not authorized to be attached to either lower leg cargo pockets on the BDU trousers.
• The female ABU trouser fly buttons will be the same as on men’s pants.