The Department of the Air Force launched a new crowdsourcing campaign to solicit ideas for dress and appearance improvements on the Air Force Ideation Platform, IdeaScale.
Airmen and civilians were invited to begin submitting ideas Sept. 3.
“If we want an environment in which Airmen feel valued, we need to create transformative opportunities to foster a culture of innovation and then listen to their ideas,” said Lisa Truesdale, Air Force military force policy deputy director. “Additionally, wearing the uniform and having pride in your personal appearance enhances esprit de corps.”
Dress and personal-appearance ideas submitted to IdeaScale may be presented to the Air Force Uniform Board after review by Air Force personnel subject matter experts. The uniform board will make recommendations to the Air Force chief of staff. All CSAF-approved ideas will be implemented within AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel. If an idea does not meet the Air Force Uniform Board, a notice with rationale will be sent to the submitter.
“We want our dress and appearance guidance to be inclusive,” Truesdale said. “We are committed to considering the views of all members. Individuals contribute their highest levels of creativity when they are cared for and feel a sense of belonging.”
The following categories are available for idea submission:
- GROOMING AND APPEARANCE STANDARDS (e.g. hairstyles, beards, shaving, etc.)
- DRESS UNIFORMS (Service Dress, Mess Dress & accessories (e.g. hat, shoes, shirt, belt, tie, ribbons, medals, insignia, etc.))
- UTILITY UNIFORM (Operational Camouflage Pattern Uniform & associated accessories (e.g. hat, boots, belt, T-shirt, insignia, etc.))
- ACCESSORIES (e.g. jewelry, earrings, rings, purses, backpacks, gym bags, phone, headphones, etc.)
- OUTER GARMENTS (e.g. pullover sweater, cardigan sweater, lightweight blue jacket, fleece, etc.)
- PHYSICAL TRAINING GEAR (e.g. shorts, pants, jacket, shoes, socks, shirt, etc.)
- FLIGHT DUTY UNIFORMS (Two-Piece Flight Duty Uniform, Flight Duty Uniform, Desert Flight Duty Uniform & associated accessories (e.g. hat, boots, T-shirt, patches, insignia, etc.))
- BADGES AND SPECIALTY INSIGNIA (e.g. organization badges, unit patches, duty identification patches, tabs, etc.)
- MATERNITY UNIFORMS (e.g. Service Dress, Utility, accessories, etc.)
To submit an idea or engage in this campaign visit https://usaf.ideascalegov.com.
If you are new to the platform, register using your Common Access Card. From the homepage, scroll to the “Dress and Appearance” tile to submit your ideas.
Previous dress and appearance ideas submitted to the Airmen Powered by Innovation campaign will be transferred to this new campaign.