Heating equipment is the leading cause of home fires during the winter months and most heating equipment fires involve space heaters. Space heaters can be fixed or portable. They can be fueled by electricity, wood, gas or kerosene (although the latter are illegal in KMC housing areas). Even wood stoves and fireplaces are considered space heaters. All pose hazards and require care.
Space heaters need space – keep them at least three feet (or one meter) from combustible items. Turn off space heaters when you leave home or go to sleep. When you buy one, look for models with an automatic shut off feature and a listing by a testing laboratory.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on operating the heating device. If you have a fireplace or a wood burning stove, have your chimney inspected and cleaned every year. Keep sparks and embers inside the fireplace with fire screens of heat tempered glass or sturdy metal.
So when the temperature drops, remember to stay warm but please stay warm safely. If you have any questions, contact the fire prevention office at 480-5940.