The Ramstein Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program is available to help all Department of Defense ID card holders with filing taxes in 2007.
Taxpayers are encouraged to get a head start on tax preparation, especially since early filers avoid the last minute rush and get their refunds sooner. Here are ways to assist in having your taxes prepared long before the April 15 deadline:
• Gather your records in advance. Make sure you have all the records you need, including W-2s and 1099s, before arriving at the tax center.
• Take time to prepare for filing. You may be in a hurry to file and receive that big refund, but inaccurate information provided in a hurry can delay the process.
• Bring social security cards for your dependents. Inaccurate social security information is the most common error on tax returns. Cards in hand will reduce your chance of hearing from the IRS and will speed up your refund.
• Get the fastest refund. When you file early, you receive your refund faster. When you choose direct deposit, you receive your refund sooner than waiting for a check.
• E-filing is easy. It catches math problems, provides confirmation your return has been received and gives you a faster refund.
• Don’t panic. If you have a problem or a question, remember the base legal office is there to help. Call 480-1040 if you have questions.
The Ramstein Tax Center will be open Jan. 16 to June 15, 2007. Mondays and Wednesdays, walk-in clients will be served from 9 to 11 a.m. and clients with appointments will be assisted from 12:30 to 3 p.m.
A walk-in service will be available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. After June 16, clients will be seen by appointment only. (Courtesy of the Ramstein Legal Office)