Energy conservation and climate change has become a constant discussion over the past few years.
So, why should you be passionate about conserving energy in your home? Well, this boils down to two fundamental reasons: to save money and to reduce the amount of damage caused to the environment.
Whether you live on-base or in our local communities, here are some easy ways to save energy costs while living in your home.
KMC Housing “Energy Conservation Tips”
- Use sunlight whenever available, switch off lights when not required and adjust heating thermostat to lower temperature when you’re not home.
- Draw your curtains at dusk to retain heat in your home, and make sure the curtains, or any furniture, are not blocking your radiators.
- Dress for the weather. When you are at home, dress in warm clothing in the winter and cooler clothing in the summer to stay comfortable.
- Turn off the lights when they are not in use.
- Set your refrigerator temperature to the manufacturer’s recommendation to avoid excessive cooling and wasting energy.
- Turn water off when shaving, washing hands, brushing teeth.
- Unplug unused electronics
- Conserve energy by not leaving electrical items on standby…prevent further waste by not keeping laptops and mobile phones charging unnecessarily.
- Take a shower rather than a bath — showers use a lot less water.
- Defrost frozen food in the fridge overnight, as this will reduce the cooking time.
- Keep inside doors closed if they lead to an unheated room, to prevent cold air mixing with warmed air and flowing around the house.
- Dripping taps, if you live on-base, call the Housing Maintenance (Comm: 06371-463-9510) for a fix! If you are off-base, talk with your Landlord.
- Winter tip for base townhouse families…when temperatures are below freezing; ensure the outside technical room is always closed. As a reminder, the maintenance responsibility for technical rooms belongs to the Housing Maintenance Contractor, Vectrus. For repairs, call Comm Phone: 06371-463-9510.
- During the winter months, cover your outside water faucets to prevent bursting water pipes!
To get help with all of your housing needs, visit the KMC Housing Office on Vogelweh, Building 1001, or call 0631-536-6672/DSN 489-6672 for assistance. You can also view our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/KMCHousingOffice/