USO starts new program
USO Kaiserslautern is offering the following free events for its new Discover Program:
- German baking classes — Baking for Fasching: 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Kapaun Chapel Annex, Bldg. 2782
- Kaiserslautern orientation tour — Willkommen in Kaiserslautern, featuring Barbarossa’s castle and underground tunnels: Jan. 28. Participants will be picked up by bus at 8 a.m. at the Vogelweh Bowling Center parking lot and at 8:30 a.m. in front of the passenger terminal on Ramstein. Estimated return time is 4:10 p.m. on Ramstein and 4:30 p.m. on Vogelweh.
For additional information, email USODiscoverkl@uso.org.
The Armed Services Blood Program-Europe will be conducting the following blood drives:
- Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the 86th Civil Engineer Squadron Warehouse, Bldg. 518, on Ramstein; hosted by 86th Communications Squadron
- Tuesday: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Landstuhl Heaton Auditorium
- Jan. 31: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Kaiserslautern Military Community Center food court on Ramstein
- Feb. 1: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Airman Leadership School, Bldg. 2795, on Kapaun
- Feb. 13: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Crossroads Community Center Skating Rink, Bldg. 2053, on Vogelweh
- Feb. 15: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Hall of Champions Fitness Center, Bldg. 8105, in Baumholder
- Feb. 21: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at KMCC food court on Ramstein
- Feb. 27: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Landstuhl Heaton Auditorium
To make an appointment to donate, visit www.MilitaryDonor.com. Click on “Donate Blood,” then click “Landstuhl, Germany.” Walk-ins are welcome.
For more information, call 590-5958 or 06371-9464-5885, or find it on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ASBBCEUR.
Retire in Germany briefing
A Retire in Germany briefing will be held at 1:30 p.m. Thursday on Ramstein in Bldg. 2120, room 105. To register, contact the 86th Airlift Wing Retiree Activities office at 480-5486 or 06371-47-5486, or email email@example.com.
The Armed Services Blood Bank Center-Europe needs units and organizations to host blood drives in the local area. All blood collected will stay within the military. For details, call 590-5885 or 06371-9464-5885, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plantar fasciitis research study
Do you have foot or heel pain? Are you interested in trying a safe, innovative laser therapy treatment? If you are between the ages of 18 and 65, are eligible for care at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center and have plantar fasciitis, you might be eligible to take part in this study. Participation is voluntary and confidential. For details, call 590-4059 or 06371-9464-4059, or email email@example.com.
Garbage Guide app
In January, the waste management of the County Administration Kaiserslautern will provide the “Garbage Guide KL County” app for KMC residents. The app includes the amended refuse collection plans, a reminder function for the collection days and a lot of information about waste management. To download the app, visit www.kaiserslautern-kreis.de/Verwaltung/Abfallwirtschaft, click on the English flag and then on the garbage guide below to see the QR code.
Survivor Benefit Plan
For those considering military retirement, one decision you will need to make before you retire involves participation in the Survivor Benefit Plan. As with all good decision making, you need to know the facts before you can make a sound decision. Be wary of anyone telling you they can offer you a better deal. Get the true facts about the SBP before making up your mind by contacting your SBP counselor, Dr. Richard Eleby, at 480-5759 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The emergency number 112 is valid throughout Europe. It can be dialed free of charge and without a prefix in all European countries.