Members store vehicles at no cost,

Wesley Greene
435th Security Forces Squadron

Preparing for a deployment? Not quite sure what to do with your vehicle registration? Three options are available to alleviate problems associated with vehicle registration.
First, a vehicle registration must be current at the time of submission of memorandums and applications to Headquarters U.S. Army Europe Registry of Motor Vehicles. As a benefit, all of the following options can be accomplished at no cost.
First you have the option of having one privately-owned vehicle stored at government expense. (The authorized storage facility for Air Force personnel assigned to the KMC is located at Spinelli Barracks, Mannheim, Bldg. 1849. The hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m., Mondays through Fridays. Call 384-6316/6392 or 0621730-6316/6392, for details.)
The procedure for placing a POV in storage is fairly simple. Once hard copy orders are obtained, call the storage facility and schedule an appointment to drop it off. At the storage site, an inventory is performed in the same manner as when a POV is shipped overseas (Defense Department Form 788, POV Shipping Document).
After being accepted at the storage site, HQ USAREUR RMV is notified and the registration expiration will be extended and coded to show the POV is in storage status. After a deployment, people should coordinate with the KMC Vehicle Registration station for re-registration and to pick up their POV. Members will need proof of insurance (new Double White Insurance card) and a valid USAREUR driver’s license. The station will issue a new, no-cost registration, with credit for months deployed for those POVs in government storage. The new registration document and a copy of the DD Form 788 should be in hand when proceeding to the storage site.
A second option is to extend the current registration. With this option HQ USAREUR RMV will extend the registration expiration date by the number of days of your deployment.
A unit commander has to complete and sign a memorandum, then fax or drop it off at the KMC Vehicle Registration Office 489-7029 or 0631-536-7029 or fax directly to HQ USAREUR RMV at 386-7273 or 0621-718-7273. The new registration and decals (if required) with new expiration date are mailed to the address on the registration.
The third and final option is to register your POV as non-operational. The procedure for this option is to turn-in a signed memorandum from your unit commander, your license plates and white copy of your registration.
The KMC vehicle registration office will forward the memorandum to HQ USAREUR RMV, which will mail your new non-operational registration to the address listed on your registration.
A USAREUR Form 190-1S, Request for POV Registration/Insurance Cancellation, is provided to cancel insurance if applicable. People parking POVs off base must ensure they are parked on a private driveway or in a garage.
The only authorized on base parking for non-operational POVs is located at Kapaun, adjacent to the Auto Skills center. Once the vehicle is registered non-operational it cannot be driven on a public road or highway.
For details, visit the Ramstein home page at or call 489-6443-7542 or 0631-536-6443/7542.