Outdoor swimming pools in the area are open. Most of them are heated and they usually stay open until September, if weather permits.
Public pools are generally divided into swimmers’ and non-swimmers’ pools, and they have extra pools for toddlers.
Most facilities have water slides, playgrounds and little restaurants or bistros.
Daily admission fees vary from €1 to €3. Season passes are also available.
***image1***Everyone visiting a public swimming pool has to obey specific rules:
• Don’t push anybody into the water.
• Avoid noise (in some facilities radios and stereo equipment are prohibited).
• Don’t pollute the water and don’t dirty any other areas of the facility.
• Don’t eat or smoke within the immediate swimming area.
• Children younger than six must be accompanied by an adult.
• Animals are not allowed in any facility.
• Life-guards are allowed to ban visitors from the facility if they break official regulations.
Common sense tells swimmers not to swim with a full stomach and not to go in the water when their bodies are overheated.
The following pools are located in the KMC and nearby areas:
• Kaiserslautern: Warmfreibad, Entersweiler Strasse, noon to 8 p.m. Mondays, and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays; 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Kaiserslautern: Waschmühle (not heated), Morlauterer Strasse, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily except Tuesdays when it opens at noon. Note: Waschmühle has one big basin, 165 meters long and 45 m wide. It is considered the biggest swimming basin of Europe.
• Trippstadt: Warmfreibad, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mondays and after holidays.
• Hohenecken: Strandbad Gelterswoog (lake on B270), 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
• Hochspeyer: Warmfreibad, noon to 8 p.m. Mondays, and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays.
• Otterberg: Schwimmbad (not heated), 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
• Alsenborn: Freibad, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
• Mehlingen: Freibad (not heated), 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
• Winnweiler: Schwimmbad, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily except Tuesdays when it opens at 1 p.m.
• Rodenbach: Waldschwimm-bad, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Every Friday in July and August, floodlight swimming is offered until 11 p.m.
• Miesau: Waldwarmfreibad, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m..
• Altenglan: Sport- und Freizeitbad, 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
Some swimming pools have a combination of indoor and outdoor facilities, which is good for any kind of weather:
• Ramstein: Freizeitbad Azur, 1 to 9 p.m. Mondays, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays, and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
• Landstuhl: Allwetterbad/Naturerlebnisbad, 1 to 8 p.m. Monday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays and German holidays.
• Kusel: Bade- und Freizeitpark, indoor opening hours: 2 to 9:30 p.m. Mondays, 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. and 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Tuesdays; 6:30 to 9 a.m. and 2 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays; 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. The outdoor swimming pool is open 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. daily.