Ramstein offers tax services to KMC

Capt. Robert Jarman
Ramstein Legal Office

***image1***U.S. ID card holders are eligible to receive free federal income tax preparation services beginning Feb. 2 at the Ramstein Tax Center.

The center has more than 100 Internal Revenue Service trained and certified volunteers to assist the KMC. The volunteers come from local units and can prepare returns both at the Tax Center and at their duty locations.

The tax center is located in the Ramstein Law Center Annex (Bldg. 2137), across from the Southside Fitness Center. The center is open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.

People who are filing 1040EZ can walk in anytime during these hours (EZ filers are single or married filing jointly, with no dependents, income under $50,000 and interest income only).

People filing 1040As and 1040s should call the center at 480-1040 or 1041 to make an appointment during the hours of operation. These phone numbers will become operational Monday.

For customer convenience, the center will be open 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays for 1040EZ appointments only.

The center offers a Project CHEER event 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 7 for 1040EZ walk-ins. Airmen residing in the dormitories are encouraged to come in and have their returns completed. The center will not be open Feb. 14.

The IRS places certain limits on volunteer tax programs. Volunteers are not authorized to prepare returns involving the following: farms, fiduciary responsibilities, private organizations and inheritance, estate, gift, trust and partnership taxes; Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business), with an exception for childcare businesses run from a military member’s home; Schedule E (Rent and Royalties), including sale of rental property or business assets; Form 2106 (Employee Business Expense); and complicated or advanced Schedule D.

Because February is traditionally the busiest month at the center, filers should keep in mind that unit tax advisers are available to prepare returns at their units as well.

Filers must bring the following items:

– ID card

– Social security cards for spouses and dependents

– Individual taxpayer identification number card for spouses who do not have a social security card

– Copy of your 2002 federal and state returns

– Voided check (for direct deposit of refunds)

– All W-2 forms and Lohnsteuer-karte, Lohnsteuerbescheinigung and Kindergeld (for applicable filers)

– All Forms 1099 (Div, Misc, Int, Capital Gains, etc.)

– Tuition payment statement, Form 1098T

– Daycare provider name, address and Social Security number or employer ID number

– If filing jointly, bring your spouse with you, a general power of attorney, or power of attorney and Declaration of Representative (IRS Form 2848) filled out and signed.

Filers can pick up federal and state tax forms at the Ramstein Law Center or download forms at their Web site at https://wwwmil.ramstein.af.mil/435abw/ja/Taxes.htm or at http://www.irs.gov.