Ramstein Tax Center: 8 things to get you started with your taxes

The Ramstein Tax Center will help customers prepare their tax returns. This year’s program uses volunteer tax preparers who will guide customers through the tax season. A key change to the program is the use of software on the Web site, MilitaryOneSource.com. Also new, is an increase in the number of computer stations for filing taxes. Customers will input their own tax data and work with a volunteer. MilitaryOneSource tax advisors will also be able to quickly and accurately prepare customers’ tax returns. 

The 435th Air Base Wing Law Center is hosting a Project Cheer event from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Ramstein Legal Office, Bldg. 2137. All military and Department of Defense civilians are invited to come and file their EZ tax returns. An EZ filer is somone who is single or without dependents or married, filing jointly, without dependents.  

1The center can assist 10 people at a time. Hours are: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday; 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday; and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday.

2 People can access the MilitaryOne Source Web site 24 hours a day.
Customers also can bring documents into the tax center and an IRS-trained volunteer will help until the taxes are filed.

3 Computers are available at the center to any active duty member, reservist, Department of Defense civilian, or dependent who wants to file taxes, even if you don’t need assistance.

4Retirees who work as DOD civilians can access the tax software through MilitaryOneSource.com. They can go to the tax center for assistance. Retirees who are not DOD employees can call the tax center at 06371-47-1040 for information about filing taxes.

5 Appointments are not taken.Tax assistance is on a walk-in basis.

6 From now to April 15, tax center volunteers will focus on helping customers prepare 2007 tax returns only. Customers who need to file tax returns from previous years should check back after April 15.

7 Ramstein Legal Office has an instructional handout on how to use MilitaryOneSource.com and the tax software. Also, check the Ramstein Web page for a link to this information.

8 For more information about the tax program, call the tax center at 480-1040 or e-mail taxcenter@ramstein.af.mil.

     Volunteers cannot answer questions about individual tax returns over the phone or over e-mail. Tax questions should be directed to a tax advisor at MilitaryOneSource 1-800-730-3802 or to a volunteer during tax center hours.

What you need:
When you go to the Ramstein Tax Center for help, bring all of the documents and information you need to file your tax return. 

•Social Security Number cards for you, your spouse and dependents 
•All W-2’s
•Any Forms 1099
•Any Forms 1098
•Any other information on income received in 2007     
•IRA contribution information   
•Information on dependent childcare expenses (You will need your childcare provider’s name, address, and SSN/EIN)
•Records of educational
•Bank account number /routing number for direct deposit   
•Copy of last year’s federal/state returns (if available)
If you do not have all of the above information, you will be asked to come back later with all your documents.

Space at a computer will not be held for you while you leave the center to retrieve information.