Vehicle Registration announces new changes

by Staff Sgt. America J. Salazar
Vehicle Registration

Plate Change Requirements:
U.S. Army in Europe Headquarters now requires all U.S. license plates be exchanged for the German KL plates during the renewal process. This means all individuals with plates beginning with the letters AD, AF or HK will be required to turn in their plates at the time of their renewal in exchange for KL plates. German law requires Vehicle Registration to update your new plate number with your insurance agency. Therefore, you will need to have new Insurance Confirmation Cards issued by your insurance company prior to completing your renewal.

If you have USAA or Volkswohlbund/Miroscon, you will need to call your insurance company at least 24 hours prior and request your insurance cards be sent electronically to Vehicle Registration (international green insurance card or any paper copy will not be accepted).

For all other insurance agencies, you will have to hand carry your DWIC’s to Vehicle Registration.

If your vehicle will not accommodate the long plates on the front or back, there are two other options: having a long plate in the front with a small plate in the back or a medium plate in the front and a short plate in the back. The small plate is the size of stateside license plates and the medium plate is the size of a standard 8 ½ x 11 inch piece of paper. Motorcycles, trailers and NAF vehicles will not be changing at this time.

If you are PCSing within three months of your renewal, you will not be required to change your U.S. plates as you will need these plates to ship your vehicle or drive to another NATO base.

German KL plates are not allowed to leave the country for purposes of shipping or driving to a new PCS location. In both of these situations, you will be required to exchange your KL plates for U.S. plates. In addition, you are required to have a minimum of 90 days left on your registration to exchange your plates to the U.S. plates free of charge.

Transferring Ownership Requirements:
The seller and buyer will appear together at the local Vehicle Registration office. The seller is required to place the vehicle through inspection with a new AE form 190-1AA (only if the vehicle is 10 years or older). If the vehicle does not require inspection, the buyer will receive the time remaining on the registration as long as a minimum of 60 days remain on the registration. If not, the same inspection requirements apply.

The seller must have a cleared title or lien release letter from the lending institution. The buyer must have proof of insurance at the time of transfer.
If the buyer is insured with USAA or Volkswohlbund/Miroscon, the buyer will need to contact their insurance agency 24 hrs prior to the transfer to allow ample time for electronic input into the registration system. For any other insurance agency, the buyer will have to hand carry their ICCs to the Vehicle Registration Office. For sellers with a joint owner registration, both spouses are required to sign the back of AE Form 190-1a. All three copies of the registration must be signed or have a power of attorney from absent spouse. The buyer must ensure they have not exceeded their privately owned vehicle limit by making the vehicle purchase.

If the buyer exceeds the limit, they must request a waiver (AE From 190-1AG) be approved by an O-3 or above in their chain of command. The buyer will not be allowed to register any additional vehicles until all their existing vehicle registrations are in compliance.

For additional information, forms and documents, visit Appointments may be made by contacting Vehicle Registration at 489-7542, 0631-536-7542 or by e-mailing 435/

Vehicle Registration is located in Bldg. 2806 on Kapaun Air Station and is open from 7 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. The office is only open from 7 to 11 a.m. on the last duty day of the month and is closed on all federal holidays, family days and wing goal days.