The Garden Fair Kaiserslautern sponsors a German-American neighbor fest Sunday. In cooperation with the German-American Community Office, several American groups will present a diversified culture program.
***image1***“We are always looking for artists who would like to perform in our grounds,” said Sandra Laux from the garden fair. “And the German-American Community Office noted that a lot of American groups would like to present themselves to Germans in the community, so we decided to have this friendship day.”
The day starts with a dual-language worship service at 11 a.m. in the willow church. The Mennonites present the English-spoken part of it.
The fest continues at 1:30 p.m. in Jean-Schoen-Park.
“This is a very special performance of our American guests for the German hosts and fosters German-American relations,” said Sissi Koesling from the GACO. “This is also an invitation to all our American neighbors living side by side with Germans in our community to enjoy the colorful surroundings of the garden fair.”
Following is a performance schedule:
• 1:30 p.m. local square dance group Action Fraction
• 2 p.m. Kaiserslautern American High School Jazz Ensemble
• 2:30 p.m. Capoeira Luanda, African-Brazilian martial arts
• 3 p.m. Karate Tech International Association
• 4 p.m. U.S. Air Forces in Europe Band Check Six
• 5 p.m. El Ballet Folklorico Mexicano
• 6 p.m. USAFE Band Direct Hit
• 7 p.m. Aniten Taotao Tano, traditional Chamorro dance of Guam
• 7:30 p.m. Audience of One, Peg Novak acoustic band
• 9:30 p.m. musical fireworks display near Alter Schlachthof
“We close out the day with a gigantic musical fireworks display kept in rich colors just like our tulip festival,” said Mrs. Laux. “With this highlight we celebrate half time of our tulips in blossom.”
Starting 10 a.m. Saturday at the basketball court and then each Saturday, interested visitors can get tulip bulbs from the first beds that bloomed in five-liter bags.
“We don’t charge anything for those, but we accept donations,” said Mrs. Laux.
Admission tickets to the garden fair cost €6 for adults and €3 for children. The Kaiserslautern Garden Fair is open daily from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. For more information, visit www.gartenschau-kl.de.