Housing Hype: Tidbits for Living in Family Housing


When on you are on Leave or Extended TDY

If you will be absent from your on-base home, leaving it unoccupied for extended periods (over 14 days), you are required to make arrangements for security, prudent care, and periodic inspections of your assigned areas. You must notify, in writing/email, both the Housing Office and Security Forces of your intended absence and the name, address, and phone number of the person you designate to perform the normal day-to-day responsibilities. The individual must be over 18 years of age and have a SOFA status. Local national personnel cannot assume this responsibility. Please contact the Housing Facilities Section, at DSN 489-7108 or COMM 0631-536-7108, if you have any further questions.

Liability for Damage to Military Family Housing, Equipment and Furnishings

Under Federal law (10 U.S.C 2775), as amended by the FY85 Military Construction Authorization Act, members of the armed forces occupying family housing shall be held liable and accountable for loss or damage to family housing, associated equipment or furnishings caused by the abuse or negligence of the member, the member’s dependents, or the members guest(s). In cases of simple negligence, the amount of liability is limited to one month’s basic pay (in most cases). If there is willful misconduct or abuse, the responsible member will be held liable for the full amount of damages.


While occupying family housing, you may want to consider purchasing commercial insurance for protection in cases of a major loss. Such insurance should specify clearly that personal liability coverage for loss of damage involving government quarters, furnishings and equipment is included. A common renter’s policy for this coverage normally covers your personal property as well as personal liability for government property. Please contact your legal office for continuing guidance.

If you have any specific questions or housing concerns, please email us at KMCHousing@us.af.mil or call:

  • Assistance Section: DSN: 314-489-6672 – COMM: 0631-536-6672
  • Facilities Section, on-base: DSN: 314-489-7108 – COMM: 0631-536-7108
  • Furnishings Management Section: DSN: 314-489-6001 – COMM: 0631-536-6001
  • Housing Referral Office, off-base: DSN: 314-489-6643/6659 – COMM: 0631-536-6643/6659
  • Unaccompanied Housing DORMS: DSN: 314-480-3676 (480-Dorm) – COMM: 06371-47-3676

To keep abreast of all that is going on in Family Housing, you can now view our Facebook page, at https://www.facebook.com/KMCHousingOffice/

NOTE: The KMC Housing Office will close every Wednesday at 11:30 for administrative activities.

The KMC Family Housing Team is in the business of 100% “Customer Satisfaction!”