Thursday is Job Shadow Day. From 8 a.m. to noon, children will have the opportunity to shadow their sponsor or a workplace mentor and complete a half-day on the job. The program invites students to see firsthand how the skills learned in school relate to the workplace. Look for more information on events from your child’s school.
Students from kindergaren to fourth grade are only to be accompanied by their parents. Parents of students in grades five to 12 are to remain with their students unless permission for unescorted participation has been granted by the hosting unit coordinator in advance.
Parents are entirely responsible for transportation and coordination.
It is highly encouraged that parents eat lunch with their children and discuss job shadow day. Children should be returned to school before 1 p.m.
Look for an updated listing of Job Shadow Day events from your child’s school. Personnel with access to a U.S. Air Forces in Europe government computer can print an updated listing of events at https://ice.usafe.af.mil/sites/A1/A1S/A1SA/A1SAS/default.aspx. Some units have limited space available, so call ahead to sign up.
Public Events At Ramstein
• Eagle Vision-1 – Bldg. 2386, 9 and 11 a.m., limited to 20 students each brief, 60 minutes, Deployable commercial imagery satellite ground station (Use outside phone to call 478-4725)
• Fire department – Bldg. 2303, station tour every half hour starting at 8 a.m., EOD will be on site with demonstrations including the robot, bomb suit, X-ray unit and more.
• Command Post – Bldg. 2201, emergency actions and tour every 20 minutes starting at 8 a.m.
• 37th Airlift Squadron – 8 and 10 a.m., about two hours, Bldg. 2291(attached to Hangar 2), C-130 slide show and static display, limited to 20 students grades five to 12, call 480-6902
• 76th Airlift Squadron – Bldg. 2330, 8 a.m. to noon, safety and flying operations/aircraft tour and lunch provided by flight attendants, limited to 15 students, age 10 and up, call 480-2093 for details
• Security Forces – Bldg. 2389, 9 to
10 a.m., Security Forces demonstration on equipment, vehicles and weapons
• Security Forces – Bldg. 128, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., K-9 demonstration
• Security Forces – Bldg. 2389, 8 to
10 a.m., Child ID Program, McGruff
• TPMRC-E – Bldg. 2327, Room 101, briefings at 8, 10 and 11:30 a.m., each brief limited to 10 students, patient movement for EUCOM
• 86th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron – Bldg 2327, events at 8, 9:30 and 11 a.m., aeromedical evacuation tour, AE equipment demonstration, static display C-130 and C-21
• 86th Operational Support Squadron OSL – Hanger 1, 8 a.m. to noon, 30-minute intervals, Aircrew Flight Equipment-see and touch life rafts, parachutes, helmet
• 86th OSS Intel – Bldg. 2308, 8 a.m. to noon, 30-minute intervals, weapons system airframe, explain Intel career/ discussing weapons, airframe and country
• 86th OSS SERE – Hangar 1, 8 a.m. to noon, 30-minute intervals, emergency parachute training/ SERE career field brief
• 86th OSS Weather – Bldg. 2303, 8 a.m. to noon, 30-minute intervals, weather/tactical equipment discuss career and equipment
• Public affairs – Bldg. 517, 8 a.m. to noon, 30-60 minutes, first floor photo tour/ second floor video tour
• South chapel – Bldg. 2403, 8 a.m. to noon, 8 and 10 a.m., 60-minute tour of chapel facilities by Protestant, Jewish and Muslim chaplain followed by question and answer
Ramstein Health Clinic
• Lab – Bldg. 2114, 8 a.m. to noon, tours every 20 minutes of microbiology lab, hematology lab and phlebotomy lab, show and tells of lab equipment and specimens
• Pharmacy – Bldg. 2114, 8 a.m. to noon, tours every 20 minutes related to medication safety and automated dispensing procedures including show and tell of systems
• Outpatient records – Bldg. 2114, 15-minute tour on safekeeping medical records
• Radiology – Bldg. 2114, 8 a.m. to noon, 20-minute tour of X-ray describing functions of X-ray machine and processing
• Family practice – Bldg. 2114, 8 a.m. to noon, about 20 minutes, briefs the purpose of crash cart and tells toenail removal and blood pressure procedure
• Immunization – Bldg. 2114, 8 a.m. to noon, about 20 minutes, describes the different types of vaccines and side effects
• Pediatrics – Bldg. 2114, 8 a.m. to noon, kids care, show and tell temperature/blood pressure procedures and how to use a stethoscope
• Public health – Bldg. 2114, 8 a.m. to noon, 15 minutes, preventive disease, brief on proper hand washing
• Ramstein CASF – Bldg. 2116, 30-minute tour, includes ambulance/ambus and facility tour, litter carry demonstration, and CPR demonstrations on mannequin
• Physical therapy – Bldg. 2117, 8 a.m. to noon, 20 minutes, total fit-exercise routine
• HAWC – Bldg. 2117, 8 a.m. to noon, 20 minutes, health and nutrition, active learning presentation
• Optometry – Bldg. 2121, 8 a.m. to noon, 15 minutes, ocular anatomy, show and tells of anatomy and equipment
• Dental clinic – Bldg. 301, 8 a.m. to noon, 30-minute tour of dental lab, orthodontics, customer service, preventive dentistry and instrument sterilization. Show and tells of dental castings, ortho instruments and the function of the dental chair will be included
• BIO – Bldg. 2182, 15 minutes, water sampling, demo on testing procedures
Public Events At Rhine Ordnance Barracks
• USAG-K Fitness Center – Bldg. 172, 8 to 10 a.m., tour for parents and children indicating importance of fitness
• 700th Contracting Squadron – Bldg. 164, 8 a.m. to noon, limited to 15 minutes, ninth to 12th grade students, Contracting and Purchasing-Learn concepts in contracting, interactive example of acquiring specific war fighting items, and an exercise on contract negotiations
Public Events At Landstuhl
• USAG-K, FMWR, Library – Bldg. 3810, there will be six stations available to visit: 1. Tour the library 2. Ready-set-read, you are the star of story time 3. Display Magic – you set the stage to get the message to the patron 4. How much is that doggie in the window? The art of puppet shows 5. Shop ‘til you drop-What do patrons want in their library…you decide 6. How can I help you? The key to great customer service
Public Events At Pulaski/Volgeweh/Kapaun
• USAG-K, FMWR, Auto Skills – Pulaski Barracks, Bldg. 2859, 8 to 10 a.m., learn about cars, become familiar with their major components
• USAG, FMWR, Outdoor Recreation – Pulaski Barracks, Bldg. 2905, 10 to 11 a.m., learn about equipment checkout area along with maintenance staff demonstrating how they wax skis
• 569th U.S. Forces Police Squadron – Bldg. 2067, Guardmount Room, 8 a.m. to noon, vehicle display, weapons display, etc.
• 735th Civil Engineer Squadron – Parking lot across from Fire Station 5, 8 a.m. to noon, heavy equipment displays, etc
• 835th CES – Fire Station 5, 8 a.m. to noon, fire department tours, vehicle and equipment displays, etc
Public Events At Sembach
• 21st Operational Weather Squadron – Bldg. 206/first floor, 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., presentation/Q & A in briefing room at 8:30 a.m. and then tour operations floor.
• Expeditionary Logistics Unit-1 – 10 a.m., limited to 15 students, located behind library at wide band tower on Sembach, meet at picnic tables for juice and fruit snack, an introduction/ mission overview, seat pan/ ejection seat demonstrations, and more. Call 496-6450
The Following JSD Activities Are Only Open To HQ USAFE Staff
• Tunner Conference Room – Bldg. 201, 8:30 to 9 a.m. and 9:45 to 10:15 a.m., HQ Staff are invited to bring their students to the Tunner Conference Room for a photo opportunity to sit in COMUSAFE’s chair
• Tunner Conference Room – Bldg. 201, 9:15 to 9:30 a.m., USAFE Commander’s Action Group will provide a USAFE mission brief (open to HQ staff only)
(Courtesy of KMC school liaison offices)