Maximize spouses’ earning potential

by Brig. Gen. Rich Johnston
KMC and 86th Airlift Wing commander

***image1***Would you like to save $1,500 per year and increase your spouse’s earning potential?

If your answer is yes, enroll in a tuition assistance program for spouses. Each year the KMC education offices assist hundreds of spouses in pursuing their educational degrees. 

Air Force spouses can apply for the Air Force Aid Society Gen. George S. Brown Spouse Tuition Assistance Program which will match the student’s out-of-pocket costs up to $300 per term for five terms, a total of $1,500 for the year (if a student’s tuition is paid in full by grants or scholarships, they are not eligible for the program). All active-duty Air Force spouses stationed at Ramstein, Kapaun, Sembach and geographically separated units assigned to Ramstein are eligible to apply for the program through the Ramstein Education Center.

The program is unique to overseas bases. In fiscal year 2006, the Air Force Aid Society covered funding for 1,049 spouses to attend school, paying out a total of $227,596.

The Army offers a similar program under the Army Emergency Relief Spouse Education Assistance Program. Spouses of active-duty Army stationed in the KMC are eligible to apply for the program that is then evaluated for the eligible amount of funding.

Spouses can apply for the Spouse Education Assistance Program at any Army Education Center located on Kleber Kaserne, Miesau Army Depot, Landstuhl Regional Medical Center and Rhine Ordnance Barracks.

The Air Force and Army program allows spouses to attend local KMC colleges: University of Maryland University College, University of Phoenix, University of Oklahoma, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and Central Texas College offer 69 different degree programs. 

Both the Air Force and Army education centers can also provide interested spouses with a wealth of information on scholarships and grant that can also help offset the cost of school.

Deadlines for the fall and winter terms are approaching quickly. To apply for the programs or for more information, Air Force spouses can contact the Ramstein Education Office at 480-2032 or 06371-47-2032 and Army spouses can contact Gale Stewart at the Kleber Education Center at 483-8125 or 0631-411-8125 or log onto