Passports and IDs: Getting squared away

by Airman 1st Class Kristof J. Rixmann
86th Airlift Wing Public Affairs
Photo by goodmoments /

In preparing to leave Ramstein Air Base, it is imperative to maintain current forms of identification for military-affiliated personnel.

Military members and their families are encouraged to have an official travel and tourist passport, be in possession of valid identification cards, and return restricted identification cards, such as line badges, before undergoing a permanent change of station.

There are multiple outlets on Ramstein to help individuals complete these tasks.

The 786th Force Support Squadron Passport Office is able to assist military personnel and families who are stationed at Ramstein Air Base, with renewing, replacing, or obtaining a passport. Service members from other bases in the Kaiserslautern Military Community area should contact their servicing passport office for assistance. Military members and their families should be aware of the different types of passports offered. Official travel passports carry no fee but can only be used for assignments such as temporary duty assignments or when PCSing. Tourist passports cost $115 for minors and $145 for adults. These passports may be used for any travel outside of official business.

The 786th FSS Ramstein ID Cards Office is able to assist personnel if their Common Access Card, Dependent ID Card, or Retiree ID Card is damaged, lost or expired before PCSing. The ID cards office also assists with outprocessing by creating Air Force Form 1172 for dependents. This form allows dependents to be placed on the orders of military personnel. Lastly, if an individual was issued a ration card by the 786th FSS, the individual PCSing must return the card to the Ramstein ID Cards office.

If individuals possess a restricted area badge and are in the process of PCSing, they can return it to the 86th Security Forces Squadron Ramstein Pass and ID office. Personnel can begin the process by contacting their unit security manager. Then, the unit security manager provides an AF Form 2586 and a memorandum for turn in. Individuals then bring these forms along with their line badge, outprocessing checklist, and orders to the Ramstein Pass and ID office. The AF Form 2586 will be turned in with the line badge while the memorandum for turn in, out-processing checklist, and orders will be stamped and returned to the PCSing individual.

Appointments for passports and ID cards are available and highly recommended to prevent long wait times. All appointments can be made on Appointments plus at

The Ramstein Passport Office is located in building 2106 in room 110. They are open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For passport related questions, email

The Ramstein ID Cards Office is located in building 2106 in room 117. They are open from Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., except on Friday, when the office closes at 2 p.m. For ID related questions, email

The Ramstein Pass and ID Office is located in building 2402 in room 105. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The entrance is located on the left side of the building.