Shipping your goods outbound

by Senior Airman Devin Boyer
86th Airlift Wing Public Affairs
Graphic by CuteCute /

It’s time to pack up boxes and send your belongings to your next home. To do this, there are two services that you will need to set up; household goods and unaccompanied baggage.

The difference between the two is simple. Household goods will contain most of your belongings and will travel by boat. Unaccompanied baggage will contain necessities that you may need soon after arriving to your new location and will travel by plane. The maximum weight per shipment will depend on your paygrade and whether or not you have dependents.

To schedule your household goods pick-up, you will first need to create a Defense Personal Property System account at DPS is an automated system developed to help simplify the move process and initiate household goods movement and gives you 24-hour access to features such as online counseling, claims settlement, and shipment tracking.

Once you have created a DPS account you will need a hard copy of your orders or a letter-in-lieu of orders. Ensure pop-up blocker is off. First, select “Before You Move.” Here you will find how-to guides, weight allowances, and other pertinent information that will assist in planning your move.

Next, select “Self Counseling,” and update your customer profile. Once your profile is updated, select “Enter Order Information” to enter the details from your order.

Finally, select “Create Shipment” to enter shipment details pertaining to your move.

After accomplishing all shipments in DPS, you must physically visit the Traffic Management Office during walk-in hours, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to noon with a copy of your orders including amendments for each shipment. TMO is located in building 2106 room 212 on Ramstein Air Base.

Please note, your shipments will not be booked until you attend a TMO briefing and sign all necessary paperwork.

If you wish to ship alcohol, there are some things to keep in mind – United States Customs and Border Patrol permits the importation of alcohol in household good shipments when prior approval is obtained and advance documentation is provided. Individuals wishing to ship alcohol in their household goods are subject to State, Federal, and U.S. Customs requirements, taxes, fees, and restrictions. All additional fees associated with the shipment of alcohol are solely the responsibility of the customer.

The following documents must be turned in to the Ramstein Personal Property Office at the time of counseling or alcohol will not be authorized to ship in household goods:

Power of Attorney for your Transportation Service Provider to clear your alcohol through U.S. Customs. Print and complete the POA. This does not need to be notarized by the legal office.

Completed alcohol inventory. Each column of the alcohol inventory must be filled out in its entirety and the total number of liters must be annotated on the inventory.

Written permission from the state the customer is moving to authorizing the importation of alcohol in household goods. Contact information for each state’s Alcohol, Beverage, and Control Board can be found at the following link:

For additional information on household goods or unaccompanied baggage, contact the 86th Logistics Readiness Squadron Traffic Management Flight Outbound Personal Property at 480-5509, 480-2163 or 06371-47-5509, 06371-47-2163.