Some European countries require members to obtain international driver’s licenses

Wesley Greene
435th Security Forces Squadron

The U.S. Army Europe driver’s license that is issued under the Status of Forces Agreement with our host nation Germany is not a valid license for operating Privately Owned Vehicles in many European countries.
Once a vehicle is driven across the border into another country, drivers are required to obey the laws governing driver’s license requirements for that country.
“With the heightened security surrounding the war on terrorism, many European countries are placing tighter controls at border crossings. This has led to several members from the KMC being delayed at the borders and having to pay fines for lack of a proper driver’s license,” said Col. Edward Addison, 435th Security Forces Group commander.
People who are planning on driving a USAREUR-plated or a German-plated vehicle outside of Germany must obtain an international driver’s license.
“In addition to having an international driver’s license, drivers are required to have an international motor vehicle insurance card, commonly referred to as the green card and a an oval nationality marker affixed to their vehicle when crossing international borders,” said Tom Lorenzini, USAREUR registrar.
Individuals wishing to apply for an international driver’s license can pick up an application from the nearest driver’s testing station. The staff will then verify the applicant’s USAREUR license information.
Other items required are a valid ID card, one passport size photo, and a license fee of 16 EUR. For details, call the Ramstein Driver’s Testing Station at 480-5534.