The Housing Hype

Frequently asked Housing questions

Question: When does my TLA start? When I attend the Housing Brief or when I land in Germany?

Answer: Your TLA starts the day that you land in Germany and you’ve checked into your hotel. You should attend the earliest available housing brief in order to learn how to claim your TLA and continue to receive TLA authorization. *During days required to quarantine, you will file your inbound travel claim through your Finance Office.

Question: When does my Inbound TLA end? How many days am I authorized?

Answer: You may be authorized up to 30 days of TLA when you arrive. Some service members might receive an offer for government housing even if they prefer to live off-base. In these cases, the offer is made because there is government housing available to the member and loaner furniture could be delivered to the home. It is the service member’s choice to accept or not accept the home, therefore the TLA is terminated the day Furnishings Management Section could deliver loaner items. For members that have aggressively searched for housing and are authorized up to 30 days, TLA is terminated the day FMS/TMO can deliver loaner items/HHG to your new home.

Question: FMS/TMO cannot deliver until after my 30 days! What can I do?

Answer: In these cases, the service member can come into the Housing Office and apply for an extension until the day their FMS/HHG is scheduled for delivery.

Question: I’m PCS’ing out. How many days of TLA are authorized?

Answer: Military Service members are authorized up to ten days of TLA from your “fly out” date. Anything more than ten must be approved by USAREUR G1.

Question: My plane was delayed! Who will reimburse me for any additional days?

Answer: If your flight is delayed due to mechanical problems, the airline that is operating your Patriot Express flight will provide instructions on how to claim additional nights in lodging due to the delay. For other types of flight delays, please contact the KMC Housing Office for instructions.

To help with all of your housing needs, visit the KMC Housing Office at Vogelweh, building 1001, call +49 631 536 6672/DSN 314-489-6672 or email

Visit us on Facebook at for the latest happenings in Housing!