Spring Project Wingman Day – a day to emphasize reducing alcohol-related incidents, sexual assaults and suicides – is today for the 435th Air Base Wing.
“As you know, after steadily decreasing our DUI arrests for over a year, our numbers began going the wrong way in early March,” said Col. Kurt Lohide, 435th ABW commander. “All of our 435th ABW commanders, chiefs and first sergeants are concerned with the recent rise in the number of arrests for DWIs/DUIs. As a result, we’re determined to take all actions necessary to prevent any loss of life due to the misuse of alcohol.”
According to Wingman Day project officer, Capt. Marcio Fletes, the program for the day takes a very active approach, involving commanders, chiefs and first sergeants, in helping eliminate alcohol-related incidents.
Below are events scheduled:
– 7:15 a.m. Kickoff at the Southside Fitness Center
– 7:45 to 9:50 a.m. 26 & Under Program begins at Southside Fitness Center
– 10 to 11:30 a.m. unit specific training
– 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Project Wingman barbecue luncheon at Donnelly Park
– 1 to 2:30 p.m. individual unit team building event
– 3:10 p.m. assemble for Wingman Run at Southside Fitness Center
“The 435th Medical Group life skills department will host the 26 & Under Program with Alcohol Drug Abuse and Treatment speakers, videos and personal life stories from one of their peers,” said Captain Fletes. “The goal is to educate our fellow Airmen on how to take better care of each other as Wingmen, and at the same time help the wing reduce DWIs/DUIs, prevent sexual assaults and suicides within the community.”